Friday 2 March 2012

Psalm 28: Stop the world, I want to get off

By Chantalle Wookey
Psalm 28 (NIV) 

Today I definitely had ‘one of those days’! I have found myself saying, “Stop the world, I want to get off.” I have found myself feeling like this at various times in my life, but particularly over the last year whilst facing some very challenging situations in my work.

I know that we all have times like this were it just feels like life is flying past and the commotion of the day, week, year is just a little too much.

This year I found myself just past the milestone of a New Year and despite the many, many blessing in my life I found a small part of my New Year prayer containing the uttering “please God, make it better than last year”!

Life can be chaotic and noisy. Life can be downright hard.

I often need to bind the thoughts that go around my head. Distraction can come easily from the busyness that surrounds me, the thoughts from my own mind, and the arrows of the enemy. Thoughts that are so easily effected by people that in person speak cordially with me but I know harbor malice in their hearts (v3)

Psalm 28:6-7 says, Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

Psalm 28 helps me to understand that when the noise is so loud that I cannot think, I can turn my heart to God in prayer, he is listening. When arrows seem to fly at me like a thick black cloud I can hide in the shelter of my Saviour, the only sure refuge in times of trouble. And when I feel weary and ready to give up thinking the world might overcome me, I can fall like a little child into the arms of God, my refuge, my shepherd - he will carry me (28:9).

Calm your heart amidst the turmoil of this world, sing thanks to him and trust in God. His arms are wide, wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment