Thursday 1 March 2012

Psalm 27: An invitation requires action

By Andi Norton

Psalm 27 (NIV)


Our lives are consumed with invitations – weddings, a social gathering or birthday parties. You only have to log in to Facebook to be bombarded with new event invites to FarmVille, Gangster groups. Ah well, it's nice to be popular.

The point is, our lives are consumed with a variety of choices of how best we spend our time, and we find ourselves pulled in hundreds of directions.

I don't know about you, but when I see the large list of events I have coming in from my job, and social things through Facebook I'm faced with a choice - do I decline as life is so busy? Or do I accept? And if I accept then I have a further choice of what do I have to sacrifice, to free up this time?

Recently I’ve had to face a tough choice to turn down additional work that has been given to me, which could be useful financially, but the reality is I’ve been neglecting my responsibilities as a husband and father and there's a need to come back to the basics.

It has been my desire for a long time to have more time with my family and my wife, Nikki had said to me several times that she wanted me around more - to spend time with me. But the desire wasn't enough, action was needed too, and when taken, a joy came in knowing that I could spend more time with the one I love being with the most.

The reason I'm telling you this is to ask you, how often do we all find ourselves in these situations? Not just with our loved ones but, more vitally, with God?

We know that our one-to-one time with God is important however; we also know the truth that time spent with God leaves us refreshed, strengthened and equipped, as He whispers words of encouragement and promises over our life.

David knew what it meant to spend time with God and I love David's desire in these famous words:

One thing I ask from the LORD,
this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the LORD

I know that this is probably all of our desire and one day we will have the full joy of these words, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord 'Face to Face' WOW.

But the reality is there is a door with no lock and the door is always open for us to walk on in. Up to a table with two chairs, on one side is a warm welcoming God longing for you to come and meet with Him. Like a child awaiting Christmas He longs for you to come and take your seat, to prioritise our time, seek Him out, and know the truth of His words that He will speak over our lives in that time together.

The question isn't do you have the desire? As I'm sure you do. The question is will you act out on the desire you have and seek Him out, pursue Him, grab every opportunity to spend time with Him, for the door is unlocked.

I know I have the freedom to come to God whenever I want and if that's not amazing enough, He promises to always be there. When I give him my priority I'm able to accomplish any multitude of mountains I may face, as he strengthens me in His presence with the Hope I have in Him.

Lord, help us to stop and look at our lives daily to prioritise what's important, to act upon the desire you've set in our heart and to seek You out.

No comments:

Post a Comment