Thursday 15 March 2012

Psalm 39: Aliens with Hope

By Andi Norton

Psalm 39 (NIV)

It can be hard sometimes to keep things suppressed, whether a frustration, a negative word or just a plain annoyance at something.

But nothing is worse than being in the place you just can't see how an end.

In the early stages of our daughter, Lilla, being born and the endless nights of crying which this year have turned into footsteps down the hall to our bedroom where we are woken up by either a heavily breathing face peering into ours in the darkness or worse a full-load mount on our faces as a child leans in for some comfort. You get to a point where you can't take it any more. The big princess eyes and smiles have worn off and the suppressed frustration of yet another night’s sleep broken results in a telling off and a march back down the hall with your little 'princess' as you tell her it's time to sleep in her own bed.

This is a reality for us right now, it can feel that we call out to God night after night that our daughter will sleep, but night after night she doesn't and you come to the point when you cry, "How much longer God?"

I then am reminded of these words from psalms:

"What am I doing in the meantime, Lord?
Hoping, that's what I'm doing—hoping

The truth is this is quite minor really, and there has been many times when I've pursued God to give me an answer or provide for a need, guide me, and ALWAYS He does, maybe not when I'd like it, but He does.

God provided me with a job the week after returning from my honeymoon, He soon later provided us with free accommodation.

When we had Daniel (my son) He yet again provided financially for us to be able to move to a bigger flat.

Countless times God has provided finically for us when we've truly needed it, whether it was an unexpected tax rebate, or an anonymous envelope through the door, God has always come on through.

He heard my cry on the dark road when I eventually physically couldn't take it any longer and saved me from an eternal regret.

The reality is God will never let us go beyond what we can with stand - It's in His word - and it's a promise!

You'll save me from a rebel life,
save me from the contempt of dunces.
I'll say no more, I'll shut my mouth,
since you, Lord, are behind all this.

Our God is faithful!

If there's one thing we can learn from this passage is that we live in a world that is not God's full plan for us, we are aliens to this world, but we are the light to which those who are aimlessly walking through it can catch a glimpse of this Hope God brings that is in us.

The trial we face is momentary to the life that is promised to us - an eternity in face-to-face contact with the Everlasting Father, the one who cares, who does listen and will in His right time answer.

The question to ask God in these times is what do you want to teach me God, use this to mould me shape me, prepare me for when I see you face to face.

I hope that through these challenges God has done just that, shaped me, and built a character of faith, hope and security and reliance in Him.

But He's also a God who cares so we can cry out to Him, but never loose hope remember no mater what the trial, it's momentary. You are an alien to this world and greater things are yet to come.

Lord, use the trials to teach me God, use them to mould me, to shape me, to prepare me for when I see you face to face.
Remind us of the truth of you're words, the promises you have sealed over our lives, to never loose hope, so that we can be lights in the darkness that surrounds us.

No comments:

Post a Comment