Thursday 29 March 2012

Psalm 51: Learning Authentic God-Worship

By Andi Norton

Psalm 51 (The Message)


16-17 Going through the motions doesn't please you,
      a flawless performance is nothing to you.
   I learned God-worship
      when my pride was shattered.
   Heart-shattered lives ready for love
      don't for a moment escape God's notice.


Notice the words here above, I learnt God-Worship when my pride was shattered.

Those two words 'God-Worship' conjure a picture of authentic worship, a worship that is true to the core, worship that we would describe as 'red hot'.

There are times when I am leading worship, I find myself looking out at the congregation and feel discouraged because it can feel that although the music is pumping, the lyrics are edifying, I have Chantalle spinning on one side, Shirley-Ann dancing on the other - but the congregation can seem static.

I can come away thinking where did I go wrong, the problem here was that I wasn't giving my attention to God, actually what I had done was just gone through the motions.

The focus for our worship and praise needs to come out of a pride-less heart, a heart that's been shattered by the grace of God. David in this psalm has just spent a time rebelling against God in his relationship with Bathsheba, and after the death of his son is confronted about his sin from a friend. Convicted, He repents.

If we think back to what God has saved us from, from a life of complete hopelessness and the life now we have in Him, it brings our focus into place.

These words encourage us into a place of Authentic Worship (7-15)

Commute my death sentence, God, my salvation God,
      and I'll sing anthems to your life-giving ways.
   Unbutton my lips, dear God;
      I'll let loose with your praise.

Worship out of a place of rescuing is awesome, I love seeing new comers in church who have been recently saved, how red hot they are, how abandoned they are.

The reality is this type of worship spurs others on.

We must make sure our focus is right; remind ourselves before we enter His gate where He has save us from.

Let us be Red Hot worshippers who encourage others into worship, through our own. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment