Wednesday 4 July 2012

Psalm 129: How long do I have to wait?

How long do I have to wait, Lord?
by Sean Theunissen

Psalm 129 (NIV)

"Greatly have they afflicted me from my youth, yet they have not prevailed against me." (vs 1)

We're often impatient as people, we live for the moment, we want an answer straight away, we want something to change in our lives so as to relieve pressure, or worry, or even pain and heartache. We often conclude that when change doesn't come or an answer is not given, that somehow we've failed or worse yet, God has.

My parents lost their business when I was very young, which meant bankruptcy, losing our family home and from then on money has always been difficult to come by. Amazingly, Rachel's upbringing is very similar and it's obviously meant that we've not been able to buy a property and there are many things in life we've had to forfeit having. Now before you think I'm after a sympathy vote, I'm really not!

This psalm makes me realise that though there is a constant battle in getting through the month financially, and wondering what the future holds, the enemy has never prevailed over me in this situation. God has worked on my heart, he has provided every single time and through experience I've learnt, or am still learning not to put my trust in wealth.

Some of my friends have far worse situations they are facing, and the psalm is very explicit in the abuse that Israel was having to take from their enemies. Some of my friends have had years, even decades of ill health and pain, but guess what, the enemy has not prevailed over them, their trust is in God. What a slap in the face to Satan!

Not getting an answer straight away, or seeing a change to a situation straight away is not failure. If your trust is turned to God, then it's prevailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment