Thursday 19 July 2012

Psalm 142: Get your priorities right



by Andi Norton

Psalm 142 (NIV)

David certainly was a man who had his priorities right. He would turn to God in every circumstance of his life - whether to rejoice, seek comfort in his sadness, cry for help in his desperation or simply to give thanks. He would always acknowledge that nothing is possible without God.

Far too many times, I find myself sifting through an array of people, possibilities and practicalities before I get to the crucial point that I need to acknowledge God in my difficulties. Now I’m not saying it's not good to share our troubles with each other as it is important to share burdens with one another, but if we fail to acknowledge God as our greatest resolve, we may find that the problem will just reoccur or be unresolved.

David was in some horrific situations, but he was a man who had perspective too. He was a man who immersed himself in the presence of the King (yes even in a dark and dingy, cold cave). He would meet with the Father and have an open conversation, pouring out, with full honesty his irritation, desperation and pleas.

I think the reason David was such a 'F.R.O.G' man (a man who Fully Relied On God) was because he had felt the failings of this world.

Look and see, there is no one at my right hand;
no one is concerned for me.
I have no refuge;
no one cares for my life.
I cry to you, Lord;
I say, “You are my refuge,
my portion in the land of the living. (v4-5)

We all too have felt many failings in this world I'm sure, but we know the truth of who our God is:

He is good and is one who cares for us, He doesn't wish for us to suffer with anxiety, fear or uncertainty, He is a God with a plan and purpose for us, and we can take heart that he wishes no harm to come to us (Jeremiah 29:11).

It's good news, but if we fail to acknowledge it (which i know i do when i become fearful and worry) we will seek comfort, reassurance and resolve in all the wrong places.

Philippians 4 states:

The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

This should be our first point of call in any difficulty (whether a technical issue on a Sunday morning, or a greater issue like a financial anxiety, bereavement, or dysfunctional relationship).

If we stop and prioritise our action, we will find that we may only need to make one, and that is to seek, seek, seek God, and He will help with managing any other actions that may need to follow.

Lord would you help me to make my first response to always be to turn to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment