Wednesday 18 July 2012

Psalm 141 Are you teachable?

by Sean Theunissen

Psalm 141 (NIV)


'Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips! Do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in the company with men who work iniquity, and let me not eat of their delicacies!
Let a righteous man strike me - it is a kindness; let him rebuke me - it is oil for my head; let my head not refuse it.'

This psalm for me characterises a life of worship. Here the psalmist pretty much says to God: "Here's my life. Shape it, break it, use it to bring glory to you. Let my life, my prayers and actions be like incense before you."

What distinguishes this prayer from some that I've prayed is that there is a genuine openess for God to work on his life. I don't know about you but whenever I've been rebuked or corrected, every bit of selfish pride that was lurking below the surface, that I didn't even know was there, suddenly springs to life. It lashes out, it tries to defend itself by recalling past successes, by bringing to mind all the 'good' I've done.

In order to be completely available and useful to God, we must be broken, and not broken after fighting for our pride, but offer up our allegiance willingly to the only true and living God, for His plans and purposes.

This is true worship. Everything else; all the corporate singing; dancing; bowing down; lifting hands; playing music; serving God's people...it all needs to stem from a life that's had it's own pride and honour smashed.    

Unfortunately it's not a one off event, but a regular breaking down of self in order to glorify Him.

God I constantly need you to rid me of the hard clay that seems to form in my life, so inflexible and immovable. God keep me malleable and soft, shape me for your purposes. Help me to live a life that is a pleasing aroma to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment