Saturday 7 July 2012

Psalm 132: 'Snooze you lose' is a Biblical principle. True story.

by Peter Roxburgh

Psalm 132 (NIV)

I had a job interview today and one of the questions was "How did you motivate yourself to overcome an obstacle?" I won't bore your with my answer because it wasn't particularly exciting, and it did not contain any of the following: 

"I will not enter my house or go to my bed, I will allow no sleep to my eyes or slumber to my eyelids." (v 3-4).

Not quite sure what the reaction of those interviewing me would have been had I said the above.

David wasn't applying for a job when he said that. Instead he was desperate to build the Temple for God, desperate to have the dwelling presence of God. (v5)

I was challenged by those words - how desperate am I for God's dwelling and presence? I know I have a long way to go before I can be anywhere near as desperate as David.

I know rather than say 'I will not enter my house or go to my bed' I am more like "I will stay in my bed, I will allow my eyelids to stay shut just those few more minutes, I will attempt to maximize the slumber of my eyes, rather than chase after the presence of God".

A fool I am. I drift back to sleep and drift away from God; one morning at a time until finally I wake to the alarm bells of life.

Why do I so easily forget that nothing is sweeter than His presence? Nothing is more rewarding than time with Him. Nothing nourishes more than to feed on His word. Nothing strengthens like the Spirit. Nothing awakens more than the refreshing waters of His mercies that are new every morning.

I want to be desperate for You, my God. Help me to overcome the obstacle of my own laziness and the lies that anything is more important or more satisfying than your presence. If I can't find time for you, help me make time, not excuses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment