Wednesday 29 February 2012

Psalm 26: How do I look?

By Sean Theunissen


'Test me, LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; for I have always been mindful of your unfailing love and have lived in reliance on your faithfulness.'

You've got to have guts to ask God to examine you from head to toe and let you know if there's any sin lurking inside!

When you first read this psalm you get a bit of a shock at how seemingly confident David is about his own righteousness. It's not until you read the psalm preceding this one that you realise he's very aware of sin in his life and his need for God's mercy. Psalm 26 is written on the back of David being accused of murdering someone who wanted his throne. With regard to this situation, David's conscience was clear, so much so that he was willing to ask God to look at him and clear his name.

It's important to distinguish between a clear conscience and a proud spirit. One God loves and one God hates. A clear conscience recognises our standing before God in the light of the cross. It's also a place we get to when we've repented of our sin having come before His throne of grace with a broken heart pleading forgiveness. A clear conscience also teaches us to fear God alone, not man. No matter what accusations are thrown at us, if our conscience is clear before our fearsome God, we have nothing to fear.

I'm challenged by David's spiritual sensitivity and I'm not talking about super-spirituality, I mean his heart position in God's assembly. I know I have come in to a time of worship without even a thought about my heart and stuff that's not been dealt with. What was the worship I offered up to God during those times, I dread to think.

Verse 6 sums it up:

I scrub my hands with purest soap, then join hands with the others in the great circle, dancing around your altar, God,
Singing God-songs at the top of my lungs, telling God-stories.
(The Message)


Lord remind me to come to your throne with a clear conscience, not confident in my own righteousness, but in Yours, fully repentant and trusting in your forgiveness having scrubbed my hands with the work of Christ ready to belt out your praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment