Saturday 2 June 2012

Psalm 107: Ask for help BEFORE you are in trouble


By Peter Roxburgh


The first time my mother-in-law and sister-in-law came to visit us in the UK, we took them on a day trip to London. For some silly reason we decided to drive there in our impossibly small car.

We had a great, but tiring day and our last stop was the home of some family friends of theirs who had invited us for dinner. In Priscilla's family upbringing it is a sin (almost on the level of murder) to turn up late when someone has invited you to their house. 

We hadn't yet invested in SatNav but I had been organised for a change and printed off some directions. To cut a long story short, we got lost. And then more lost. In fact we got so lost, I considered making a 7-season TV series about it, involving a polar bear and black smoke. But no matter how lost we got, would I, a man, like any man with self-respect, ask for directions?

This psalm is multiple accounts of people like me - in trouble because of their own foolishness, but foolish enough to think that they could apply their foolishness to bring them out of trouble. Until....

Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. (v 6, 13, 19, 27).

I read this and noted that all the accounts indicated that it wasn't until they were near the brink of death did they cry out to God. I was challenged because I know that I can sometimes be like that - maybe not to the point of death, but at least lastminuteprayers.com! We would save ourselves and our families so much stress if we humbled ourselves, accept we are foolish and our in need of Gods help BEFORE we get into trouble. He is only ever too willing and able. 

Do we wait until the bass guitar is broken, the sound isn't mixed properly, the lead guitarist has turned up late, the elders have just said that they would like to change the format of the service, before we cry out to God for help? Or are we crying out to God for help when everything is going just right too? 

Am I asking God for help with the cell group when it is going well? Am I asking for help with finances when we are comfortable, not just when things are tight? Am I asking God for help with my job when I am getting good reviews from my manager? Am I asking God for help with parenting or marriage when the children and wife are angels? 

If we are only asking God for help when things are going bad we have misunderstood our need for Him and we have caused ourselves unnecessary distress. 

In my case it wasn't until Priscilla's hands were in a tight grip around my neck somewhere in London did I bother to ask for help. I would have saved all of us a lot of distress and I would not have come so close to death (!) had I humbled myself and asked for directions and help earlier. Better still, I should have bought myself a London A-Z before we travelled.

The Psalm then encourages those that have been delivered to, "Give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love.." (v8, 15, 21, 31). 

When God rescues us, we can often forget to thank Him and say 'Well, that's his job!' Even if you have thanked him in the past, today, take a few moments to think back to times when God has rescued, delivered and provided and give Him thanks for His unfailing love. 

I still have a London A-Z somewhere and have never had to use it again since that eventful day. But I was extremely thankful for it. And even though we were 1.5 hour late (major sin) for dinner, it was probably the most welcome meal ever eaten! 

I can't say I've completely learnt my lesson. Not long ago I was driving Priscilla's dad somewhere and the SatNav refused to work. We were an hour late (bordering on unforgivable sin). How quickly did I stop and ask for directions? Let's just say I am still a man that needs a few more lessons in humility...... but you already knew that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment