Wednesday 20 June 2012

Psalm 119:73-96: God's word above circumstance

by Sean Theunissen

Psalm 119:73-96 (NIV)


Your word, Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures.
Your laws endure to this day,for all things serve you.
If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life.
Save me, for I am yours; I have sought out your precepts.
The wicked are waiting to destroy me,but I will ponder your statutes.
To all perfection I see a limit,but your commands are boundless. 
(vs 89-96)

In this section of Psalm 119, we witness what it is to prioritise God's Word above the circumstance. Here the psalmist basically says that if he did not trust in God's promises in scripture, his worrying and stress would have killed him. I'll never forget John Hosier speaking about his experience of trusting God's word when he found out he had cancer. He said that he was tempted to read more about cancer than God's word.

For me this is a real temptation and one I honestly give in to often. I find myself worrying about a task I've got to do or meeting I've got to have, or money that doesn't seem to be there for the month ahead. But the stressing doesn't better the situation one bit. Whereas when I have done the right thing and choose to open the Bible in times of stress it is amazing how on every occasion God provides perspective and supernatural peace. You would think that from experience I would take the logical approach and continue each time to go for the option that has had the 100% success rate!

God, help me to choose your word above my own efforts. How amazing that You would give us your word to show us how to live and show us your redemption plan so that we may believe and know eternal life forever. Your Word became flesh and dwelt among us, He fulfilled your law so that His righteousness would stand in the way of our wickedness. God is there any end to your love? No, it is utterly limitless. What a glorious God you are! 




No comments:

Post a Comment