Tuesday 26 June 2012

Psalm 122: How to prepare for a feast

by Priscilla

Psalm 122 (NIV)

I love being invited to people’s homes because it usually involves good company, lots of laughter and food! Nom nom! In our Indian culture visiting someone involves avoiding food all day – because you know there will be massive meal laid out involving a variety of dishes. In our English culture, people are just as generous with elaborate meals involving numerous courses.

Whatever it is – going to someone’s for a meal is a good occasion. We all look forward to it.

Similarly the psalmist here reminds us with great rejoicing of the invitation we have to go the house of the Lord (vs 1) where a big feast awaits us.

Sunday are like that. What a privilege it is in this country to be able to freely and openly walk into our place of worship and feast at a smorgasbord of Truth.
To sing corporately in the Spirit, to be comforted, be ministered to, get prayed for, be challenged and spurred on – I don’t know about you – but Sunday mornings are a highlight in my week.

However to truly enjoy an evening out with friends I have to get sorted beforehand – I need to make sure I have a baby-sitter organised, an outfit ironed and ready, make sure our child requiring the baby-sitter is fed, bathed and asleep before we leave etc… If I do not plan these things in, I will definitely not be having an enjoyable evening.

How much do we prepare ourselves mentally before a Sunday morning? I know clearly the mornings when I have prepared my heart and mind for God to speak to me are far, far better than the Sundays I have been running ragged trying to get to church on time.

This psalm is called the song of ascents and was used by pilgrims travelling together to Jerusalem for one of the religious feasts. (Ex 23:14-19). When preparing themselves for the festivals, the Israelites undertook many rituals to ensure they were purified to take part in the festivities.

Hebrews 4:16 says, “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”

We no longer need to perform rituals or sacrifice animals before we can enter church because of what Jesus has done for us on the cross. Let’s not take the throne of Grace for granted but give God the honour by getting ready in our hearts and preparing for Him our offering of worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment