Friday 25 May 2012

Psalm 100: In every circumstance


By Chantalle Wookey


Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth. Worship the LORD with gladness; come before Him with joyful songs. Know that the LORD is God. It is He who made us, and we are His; we are His people, the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise; give thanks to Him and praise His name. For the LORD is good and His love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations.

This is such a well known Psalm that I had to ask God to talk to me again about it, to bring a freshness in the way I read it. God reminded me that this is an amazing summary of what my attitude towards Him should be but also His promises over my life. 

Know that the LORD He is God: it is He who made us, and we are His; we are His people, the sheep of His pasture. In a time of my life where I am facing extreme struggles God has shown me again that he is my shepherd, responsible for my health and welfare. In John 6:39 He promised never to lose a single one of us, but to raise us all up at the last day.  

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise: be thankful unto Him, and bless His name. My part in the midst of whatever season of life I find myself  is to adopt this viewpoint.  To allow God to show me that all the events of my life (even the bad stuff) can invariably bring blessing. Sometimes, especially recently I find myself struggling with joy, because I so often try to link my level of joy with circumstances. 

The thing is that there is no conditional obedience when it comes to joy in praise of God that is acceptable. Not because God doesn't care about my circumstance but because he knows that entering his courts with praise regardless of situation or circumstance is the very best place for me when life is tough. In his courts is a better place to be than anywhere else, it is only in his courts that my brokenness can be satisfied and he will be my shepherd and my advocate. How do I get into his courts, to a place of nurturing as his sheep, to a deeper understanding of God's love for me no matter what? Through unconditional joy, thanksgiving and praise! 

I know more than ever that the Christian walk will contain battles and victories! “In this world you will have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)  I can’t experience a victory without first going into battle but when I follow God's plan, in one way or another (even if it doesn't look like it at the time) every battle ends in victory.  In my current battles God continues to show me that every time I yield  to Him, his victory will always exceed my expectations even if it doesn't change my circumstances. God is good, he is working all things together for my good and he is faithful. For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment