Tuesday 29 May 2012

Psalm 103: How the mama bear in me helps me glimpse the Father God in Heaven

By Priscilla

Psalm 103 (NIV)

My boy turns two next month. This whole motherhood thing has been one giant ride. To be honest, I am quite surprised at how much I enjoy it. You know all those documentaries we’ve watched on National Geographic – where the cameraman won’t go near a mama bear because she’s got her cubs nearby – I recently realised I’m a complete natural at channelling my inner mama bear. Every walk to the shops or trip in the car with Hudson I am overtly careful, watching out for potential hazards or risks. I couldn’t bear for any hurt or harm to come my son.

If this is me - the mum of just one, small child, senses sharpened and armoury out - how, and I mean, HOW much more must our Father in Heaven look out for us then?

I cannot even begin to fathom how great His love and care is for me. This psalm gives us a fantastic insight into how vast God’s compassion is towards us.

The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love.
He will not always accuse,
nor will he harbour his anger forever;
he does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.


When we catch a small glimpse of His great love and compassion for us, our hearts can do nothing but bubble forth with praise – all my inmost being, praise His holy name (vs 1).

When we don’t feel like praise in our quiet times, on Sunday mornings or before Friday morning prayer this is great psalm to meditate upon. Forget not all His benefits, He forgives all your sins, heals all your diseases, redeems your life from the pit, and crowns you with love and compassion. (vs 2-4)

Finding it difficult to think of things to praise God for? This psalm has a list, just in case we were lacking in inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment