Wednesday 30 May 2012

Psalm 104: Creator/Sustainer

By Sean Theunissen

This psalm celebrates the wonders of God's creation work. It starts with a view of heaven, considering God's glory, 'He wraps himself in light as with a garment; He stretches our the heavens like a tent.' (v2)

Then we see creation unfolding before us, 'He set the earth on it's foundations it can never be moved.' (v5) We get a picture of God speaking to mountains and waters and valleys and at his voice they obey and move and came in to being.

The psalmist then moves past the macro to give us a glimpse of God's care and attention on the micro, 'He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate - bringing forth food from the earth: wine that gladdens the heart of man, and bread that sustains his heart.'  (v14)

Then we see how absolutely everything is sustained by Him and depends on Him completely, 'These all look to you to give them their food at the proper time. When you open your hand, they are satisfied with good things. When you hide your face, they are terrified, when you take away their breath, they die and return to dust.' (v27-30)

So often I take for granted what I've been given, often focusing on what is lacking, what I need, what's the next thing to worry about, but take a step back and see that the very air I breathe, the food I eat, the warmth I feel, the love I know are all started and completed in Him.

We need to bask in God's wonders, enjoy them for what they are. We need to wake our souls regularly to the goodness, the mercy, the power of our God and the victory He has won.

'Oh, let me sing to God all my life long, sing hymns to my God as long as I live! Oh, let my song please him, I'm so pleased to be singing to God. But clear the ground of sinners, no more godless men and women! O my soul bless God!' (v33-35)

No comments:

Post a Comment