Wednesday 16 May 2012

Psalm 92: He will get us to the other side

By Sean Thenunissen

Psalm 92 (NIV)


My eyes have seen the defeat of my adversaries; my ears have heard the rout of my wicked foes.
The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;
planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God.
They will still bear fruit in old age,they will stay fresh and green, proclaiming, “The Lord is upright;
he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him. ” v 11-15

We can sometimes find ourselves in the middle of a massive storm, people around you criticising, fighting against you. I might add that this is not something I'm experience at present, but I know some of my friends are. It's so hard to know why it happens, why your adversaries seem to be having the last laugh, why those who are doing wrong seem to come out on top.

This psalm all the way through, looks at reasons to praise God, it says, "What a beautiful thing, God, to give thanks, to sing an anthem to you, the High God! To announce your love each daybreak, sing your faithful presence all through the night."

I think the reason so many of the psalms start in this way, is because it's only in His presence, in recalling His goodness; His acts of kindness and mercy, do we remember God's called us to a higher purpose and it's a long-term purpose. God wants us to finish well, not like the wicked who see short term success but ultimately fall. God says, 'The righteous will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green.' 

In the darkest night we need to stay focused on the marathon victory straight which isn't even the end but the entrance to eternity where death and pain and suffering cannot come with us. These trials are incredibly tough, I do not play them down, but they will end. He takes us through the storm and He said He'd get us to the other side, and guess what? He will.

God when times are tough, when times are confusing, bring me back to this psalm and many others that remind me of your plan, your purpose, the finishing line. God keep me strong and focused my whole life so that this life gives you glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment