Thursday 31 May 2012

Psalm 105: Get out of My Way!

By Andi Norton

Like most kids in their teens I often dreamt of being a rock star. Many of my weekend evenings were spent in a sweat-filled, testosterone-pumped club, ‘moshing’ (jumping) to my favourite bands with the dream of one day, I would be the one on that stage.

I worked hard with my band in London, playing all the right venues, spending hours on musical arrangements and harmonies to produce the best material, to the point where I dropped out of University to try and pursue it seriously.

There was urgency in me, a striving, and a pursuit to make my dream come true. Nothing would stand in my way. As a matter of fact I became so fixated on seeing this dream come true, I pushed friends, and family to the side, I became ruthless and nasty in my actions to others, because this was my purpose, this was my goal.

Now although this is quite a negative portrayal, it does reflect something of God in this psalm, and I love it! The Psalmist writes down the history of God’s commitment to His people, in fulfilling what He set out to do, to keep His promise, the covenant in His word that He first made with Abraham.

He's God, our God,
in charge of the whole earth.
And he remembers, remembers his Covenant—
for a thousand generations he's been as good as his word.


The psalmist shows a great account, the history to God’s promise, right from the oath He made with Isaac, through to Joseph and then with Moses. What a focused God! What a great God! There were oppositions, hardships and challenges - but none of this fazed God - and nothing was going to get in His way. God is a God of his word; His covenant is fixed and will be fulfilled.

God keeps His promises! What promises has He made to you or us as the church? Believe them, pray them back to Him, remind Him, just as Moses did, Joseph did, when it appears that it’s just not going to happen. It will for He is a faithful God, committed to You 100 per cent. It will be fulfilled.

But in the same way all these people God has listed in this psalm were called to act for Christ, to go on a pursuit for Him. We too have been commissioned by God, will we not relent in what He has called us too? God has promised to fulfil what He has started in us, to go with us, so let’s move into action.

Remember this! He led his people out singing for joy;
his chosen people marched, singing their hearts out!
He made them a gift of the country they entered,
helped them seize the wealth of the nations
So they could do everything he told them—
could follow his instructions to the letter.





No comments:

Post a Comment