Thursday 17 May 2012

Psalm 93: Trials - smashed!

By Andi Norton

Psalm 93 (NIV) 

Brothers can be a right pain, and mine was no exception.
On a holiday trip to Ibiza when I was 8 we took a trip across to a private island. I was playing catch with a bottle of water by the pier when my brother intercepted and lobed the bottle into the sea. In my annoyance I ran to get it. I jumped off the pier and into the sea, grabbed the bottle then realized my feet were stuck when I tried to wade out – and then worse – I found myself sinking. I was chest high in quick sand and shouting for help. My family were half-way down the beach and couldn't hear me. I cried out to God in prayer and then a man came out of no-where and pulled me out. – True Story.


Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
mightier than the breakers of the sea—
the Lord on high is mighty.


I can relate to these words, the sea does still scare me at times and watching movies of people shipped wrecked or stranded at sea, does make me shiver, but I know our God is so much mightier than the sea, than the trials we face whether physical trials, emotional or spiritual. Nothing is too much for Him.


Many of you know I'm a huge comic book geek, so the recent release of the new film Avenger's Assemble was like a dream come true.
I don't want to ruin the film for you but there's a great portrayal in this film that helps us see the hugeness of our God strong and mighty.
The world is in a hopeless state as the threat of the evil Loki is taking over the earth with his alien army. The team of Avengers, led by Captain America, storms into battle but one by one they take a beating. But ironman boasts that their team has the Hulk!
Then enters the Hulk, the strongest of all, angry with the injustice that is taking over, and his one mission is to smash it to a pulp.
Loki and the Hulk began their battle until Loki becomes infuriated and says enough, "You will bow down to me!"
With this the Hulk grabs him like a rag doll and pulverises him leaving Loki with both his bones and pride broken as he realises he's no match for the Hulk who in his exits says, "Puny God." Justice is served and the Hulk has made it quite clear who is stronger.

The reality is our God is bigger than even this, He doesn't have to become angry, turn green and start smashing the joint up. He is the creator of the rolling sphere, with just one word of His lips were the heavens made. We read in Mark 4:39 that Jesus himself rebuked the wind and said to the sea, "Peace be still" And the wind cease and things were calm once more.

We as Christians may not have a Hulk, but we have someone greater, The King of kings and The Lord of all, The beginning and the end, He is unshakable, indestructible, never ending, He has smashed sin to dust, and will come and stomp out all injustice.


The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty;
the Lord is robed in majesty and armed with strength;
indeed, the world is established, firm and secure.
Your throne was established long ago;
you are from all eternity.


When all around me gives way, when the sea and wind in mine or your life becomes violent and we find ourselves in a hopeless storm. We can thank God that He listens, He cares, He is for us, that He's on our team, that He has already destroyed our enemy and as Sean so well reminded us yesterday, the trial will come to an end.

Lord, you are Mighty, there is none higher than You, we thank you that You are for us, and for the promise of that final day when all trial, all pain will be gone. Remind me/us when facing the storms that can invade our lives that You are bigger, You are stronger.


No comments:

Post a Comment