Monday 2 April 2012

Psalm 54: Hello.....is there anybody out there?

By Andy Flood
Psalm 54 (NIV)


Ever felt like you're praying to the ceiling? Like God is too busy to talk?
Well you're in good company; this is exactly how David is feeling here.
It can sometimes feel as though your talking to your self.

Recently I've been chatting with Ben (my son) about how God speaks, (Ben wants to meet God, face to face, even shouting at the ceiling, "COME DOWN, GOD!!!") So I explain that God speaks primarily through the Bible and then often He speaks directly to us. I shared with him about the first time I heard God's voice.

I remember it like it was yesterday:

We were on a family holiday in Rome, I was 10. We had just visited the colosseum and two young girls approached in a very odd manner, flapping a newspaper and blowing kisses. 'How weird’, we all thought and carried on with our day. It wasn't until about an hour later, when my dad went to pay for something that he realised his pocket had been picked! This sent me in to a bit of a spin, I was gutted, how could someone do this to us.

I prayed, and God replied. A scripture reference from Thessalonians dropped in to my head (I must admit I didn't even know the book existed before)

This what God chose to say to me:

God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you (2 Thessalonians 1:6 NIV)

God revealed himself to me that day, as a God of Justice but moreover, as I look back, as a God of love. He chose to speak to a boy who was upset because he had lost some money, God cares, God is there and God answers every prayer. Usually as father answers his child, either, ‘Yes’, ‘No’ or ‘Later’.

David’s response see to God’s answer is praise. And so is mine. I'll never forget the day God first spoke to me personally, a treasure that can never be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment