Friday 20 April 2012

Psalm 70: If you don’t ask…



By Chantalle Wookey

Psalm 70 (NIV)

As a child at school I was often told that patience is a virtue. I am not always that patient – I have learnt to wait for things as I have grown up but as a rule I like to act quickly. I have always been terrible with buying gifts for people. I struggle to wait to give a birthday gift; I want people to know what I have got them (I love birthdays they are so exciting). My sister and myself always used to tell each other what we had bought for our birthday for each other (we are twins) and then acted surprised in front of my parents on our birthday itself.

Is it ever appropriate to ask God to hurry up? Or is this just impatience?

David made such a request of God, “Hasten, O God, to save me; come quickly, LORD, to help me.

On our honeymoon in Greece Aaron and myself were involved in a serious motorbike accident. A car pulled out from the side of the road straight into our moving bike.

In a foreign hospital, serious injuries, incorrect and dangerous medication, police threatening jail because of taking a bribe from the other driver (to mention only a few of the problems) we found ourselves in terrible need of help. I will never forget the relief of finally being able to have access to a phone to contact people who could help us (the hospital would not allow us to make calls so there was no contact with these people for some days).

Once we could make a call a wonderful local Greek lady met us and helped us to sort out some of the issues and among other things to eventually flee the country and the trouble being untruthfully inflicted on us.

I really hope in this case no one would criticise us for being impatient, that we did the right thing to call for help as quickly as possible because our situation was urgent.

In the same way God longs we make a call to him, to give us help that He has promised, to all who love Him because he loves us and he wants to intervene in our lives. We should never hesitate to cry out to God, “But as for me, I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; LORD, do not delay.

As Aaron and myself touched down in Gatwick airport we were filled with praise because although we would continue to battle the difficulty of our injuries for sometime God had provided, on our call, help. He had saved us and brought us home.

God longs to hear His children calling out to Him. He is especially pleased to hear them not only calling out for help, but also as we seek him that we would Praise him because he has saved us, not just from a bad situation but he has rescued us and brought us into eternal relationship with him.

“But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, “The LORD is great!”


No comments:

Post a Comment