Thursday 19 April 2012

Psalm 69: In every high and stormy gale

By Priscilla

Psalm 69 (NIV)


Save me, O God,
for the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in the miry depths,
where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
the floods engulf me.
I am worn out calling for help;
my throat is parched.
(Vs 1-3)


In the last few days I’ve found myself in a situation like the one mentioned above when it just seems like one bit of bad news after the next and the next and the next. It is almost relentless in volley and ferociousness.

The only thing I can cling on to in times likes these is God’s word. I thank God for it. There are countless verses to hold on to, to help us through difficult times. He has said, He will never leave not forsake us (Matt 28:20). He is capable to providing peace and comfort in the worst of situations in life. And has a proven track record for it.

He will hold you through the slimy pit of despair and set your feet on a rock. (Psalm 40:2)

Trusting God in difficult times forces us to seek His guidance. It takes faith and courage to trust Him through uncharted waters.

I find this verse particularly comforting during times of trial:


but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

(Isaiah 40:31)


Peter did a couple of great posts last month on praying through difficult times.
He’s put in them some great tools for prayer in tough situations.


Another thing I found that gives me great strength are verses that I had memorised in Sunday School, probably for the shallow motivation of a prize, come back to my mind at just the right time to bring me tremendous comfort.


Focusing our mind away from the problems and difficulties at hand is very hard. They can be so consuming, so stressful, so depressing but the Bible says in Romans 10:17 that faith comes from hearing the word of God. Our hope gets strengthened by the word of God. Hope comes from reading His great promises. He will NEVER fail us.


Lord, we pray that in the midst of calamity and difficulty, we will turn to you for our source of comfort and peace. Knowing that you would help us ride the storm and set our feet on firm ground gives us great assurance. We trust in your plan for our lives, God and believe that you work all things together for our good. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment