Thursday 12 April 2012

Psalm 63: God, I can't get enough of you!

By Helen Southey


Psalm 63 (MSG)

I'm not really a morning person. Until I've had at least two cups of tea, I don't function...don't even try holding a conversation with me!

David says he is earnestly seeking God (some translations mean 'early' in the morning), while I'm desperately making my way to the kettle and the toaster, David's hunger and thirst is only for his God. He remembers his times in the sanctuary, his place of worship, with each breath he is singing praises! I do know the mornings I start with some good worship and prayer, singing loudly in my kitchen kick off much better.

Probably one of the reasons I don’t like mornings is because I don't sleep well at night. We all have sleepless nights whether it is from stress, worry, illness or little ones trying to sneak into bed. In the early hours, desperate for rest I'll try and pass the time playing silly games on my phone, or raiding the freezer for ice-cream! David's night was divided into three watches, being aware of this, he probably had many a sleepless night. He, unlike a lot of us, once again turns his thoughts towards God and reflects on His steadfastness and takes comfort in the shadow of the Almighty's wings. How quickly I seemed to have forgotten long nights spent in a hospital bed, when all I had was the comfort of a heavenly Father, reminding me of His nearness and plans for my life. They were precious times.

Are we hungry and thirsting after God? Are we seeking him day and night? Only God can satisfy our deepest longings, only He can fulfill our every need.

His love is everything.

Father, may my hunger and thirst be for you alone, may I sing your praises day and night.

No comments:

Post a Comment