Tuesday 10 April 2012

Psalms 61: When I grow up, I want to be...

By Pete Doyle

Psalm 61 (NIV)


When I was younger, I never really knew what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have more than likely given different answers at different stages of my youth.

However, this wasn’t the case for my good friend, Scotty. From about the age of 12, Scotty talked about his dream, his one ambition, that one day he would be the presenter of………wait for it………..

Match of the Day!!

The proceeding years Scotty set out on this ambition to become the next Gary Lineker!

Getting the late X3 bus every Saturday morning to Bournemouth hospital to volunteer on bedside radio wasn’t the glamorous lifestyle scotty expected, neither was sacrificing nights out to stand in the rain and write up reports of Salisbury FC v Poole Town, but, bit by bit, Scotty persevered towards his a life in football media, but he persevered, focused and driven

In this psalm David has an ambition that is fueled by his passion.

‘I long to dwell in your tent forever, and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. For you, God, have heard my vows.”
David knows where he has come from: He has been through trials and god has helped him and has been his refuge through these times.

He knows where he wants to be: “I long to dwell” David want to be fully restored and living a life full of joyous worship.

He know how to get there: Through David’s “Vows” he is pledging his future to god in faith, only by faith can he achieve this.

I think we all have the same ambition as David, we long to get close to God through worship and focus on a future where our worship is better then ever.

Are we setting goals for our worship life?

How are we doing in this?

Can we aspire to do more?

Scotty, set himself a goal for his career, and has since worked for BBC, ITV, Portsmouth FC and now works in Russia presenting the breakfast sports bulletins. If he didn’t have a goal, who knows where he’d be! 

When you grow up, what do you want to be?

Lord, my prayer is that you would guide my worship, help me to evaluate where I am now, and help me aspire to growth in the area of my worship. Also…… thanks for getting me this far on my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment