Monday 23 April 2012

Psalm 72: This Concludes the Prayers of David (David's dying words)

By Andy Flood

Psalm 72 (NIV)


Although it says this is a Psalm of Solomon, Solomon is purely recording the final prayer of his father. And what a prayer! Praying for the future king (no pressure, Solomon) - quite an intimidating job description.

Of course the future king is not only Solomon, the prayer is pointing to the Greater King, Jesus, whose kingdom has no end.

Recently God has been stirring my heart and challenging me about becoming too attached to the things of this world, and Sunday morning at Citygate saw the culmination of that, as I was preparing for worship, God just grabbed my attention, calling me to look heavenward. It tied in so well with Guy's message Easy Church Vs Easy Company. A call to stop cruising along in neutral and remember that life is about building His Kingdom not creating a cosy church.

So what am I going to do about it? Go on, ask yourself too.

I guess I need to start praying, praying for change, real change.

A change in perspective. I read somewhere that the people most effective in THIS world have fixed their gaze on the world to come.

Father, do it in me. Give me a heavenly perspective, not to have my head in the clouds but to change the world around me. I need You, it certainly cannot be done in my strength.
Help me to extend Your kingdom and be part of the answer to David's prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment