Thursday 5 April 2012

Psalm 57: What sort of tea bag are you?

By Andi Norton

Psalm 57 (MSG)


I find myself in a pride of lions
who are wild for a taste of human flesh;
Their teeth are lances and arrows,
their tongues are sharp daggers.


Imagine you're fleeing for your life, away from a mad man bent over in pride and jealousy, and the only place you have to take refuge is in the cold isolation of a cave.

I'm so thankful the closest I've come to this is hiding from some boys off the local estate in the town where I grew up, who wanted to steal my bike. I hid in the local woods near my house for 20 minutes and it seemed like a lifetime. I remember how sorry for myself I felt, how afraid I was.

Then I remembered that God is my saviour, my protector and I prayed.

Suddenly all my fear dissolved, my anxiety faded and I was confidently able to ride home thinking about it no more.

We are so blessed to live in a country where we are free to be Christians (to a point), unlike countries like China or Egypt, where Christians have to flee for their life and hide away.

What amazes me about so many stories I hear from Christians living in these countries is their perseverance and focus to carry on, to continue spreading the gospel regardless of persecution. And when locked up in prison or worse, they turn in an instance to God in prayer and worship, to speak aloud the truth of His word.

The point is they've got a heavenly perspective, they know their God, they know and live out the words of Philippians 4:4-13, as does David in this Psalm.


I'm ready, God, so ready,
ready from head to toe,
Ready to sing, ready to raise a tune:
"Wake up, soul!
Wake up, harp! wake up, lute!
Wake up, you sleepyhead sun!"


9-10 I'm thanking you, God, out loud in the streets,
singing your praises in town and country.
The deeper your love, the higher it goes;
every cloud is a flag to your faithfulness.


11 Soar high in the skies, O God!
Cover the whole earth with your glory!



A quick question: What sort of tea bag are you?
When put into hot water (difficulty), what do you see seep out?
Are you anxious, fearful, or full of faith, rejoicing and turning to God in worship?



These past weeks have been a real trial to my family and me as we walked through some difficulties together. But it's only when we come together in prayer and worship and catch that heavenly perspective that all those concerns sink away.

In those moments I want to reach for my guitar and say wake up soul, and press into God my provider, my strength.

Thank You Lord that you are for us, that any trials and troubles we face are momentary in the great scheme of your glorious plan. Thank you for your spirit that comforts and protects and the Hope we have through Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment