Monday 30 April 2012

Psalm 79 – What is the most frequently used word in your prayers?


by Peter Roxburgh

Psalm 79 (NIV)

This is a very interesting prayer. The words ‘your’ or ‘you’ are used 20 times in these 13 verses. On average, how many times do you think you use the words ‘Your’ or ‘You’ when you pray?

I know I am challenged because the words most used in my prayers are ‘I’, ‘me’ and ‘my’.

It’s going to be a whole paradigm shift to pray with such a change in emphasis, to try and see things from God’s perspective.

“O God, the nations have invaded your inheritance; they have defiled your holy temple, they have reduced Jerusalem to rubble.” (v1).

When praying for our town, our church, our family, our finances, do we pray from our perspective or God's?

“God, we really need the money so please provide.” Or “God, we really need a miracle with regards to our church building.” “God, we really need you to change Bournemouth.”

WE really need stuff? WE, we, me, me! This is how I normally pray. But Asaph would pray differently. Even in the most dire of situations, Asaph prays with looking at things from God's perspective, not his.

You see, God isn’t really on our side. He is on His side. God does everything for the glory of His name. And in verse 9, Asaph appeals to that:

“Help us, God our Saviour, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name’s sake.(vs9)

I am challenged to put more ‘you’ and ‘yours’ into my prayers and I hope you will too. Our prayers might look a little more like this:

“God, you have promised to provide for your children. You have said that you know our needs before we ask. You are the God that owns it all and you call us to be good stewards of money. For your glory, we ask that you would provide, just as you have promised."

“God, you are jealous for the souls of men. You sent your only son to die for the people of Bournemouth. You are the King of kings, you are the God who changes even the hardest of hearts. God, come and change this city, for name’s sake and the extension of your Kingdom.”

God is jealous for His glory and jealous for His Name. When praying, appeal to this jealousy. It really is all about Him, not us. See and pray from His perspective.

Challenge for this week (and the rest of your life): Try reducing the number of I, me, my's in your prayers and instead using more 'you' and 'yours'.

No comments:

Post a Comment