Tuesday 17 April 2012

Psalm 67: What will worship in heaven be like?

By Priscilla

Psalm 67 (NIV)


I was once on a local train in Mumbai, minding my own business, looking out of the window, when I noticed this girl sitting opposite me who had got on a couple of stops earlier. I looked at her face and I just knew in my heart she was a Christian. There was just something that connected. We got chatting later and there was such joy and delight when I found out that I was right. She was visiting the city for a few months and was looking for a church to go to and hadn’t been able to find one. By the time we reached our final destination, we had become firm friends and she came back home with me for a cup of tea that day. I love God moments like that where He, in His grace, connects you with His people from around the world in the oddest of situations.

As a Christian it doesn’t matter where in the world you find yourself but if you locate a group of fellow believers, you’ve just introduced yourself to family.

This verse reminds us of God’s international family.

May the peoples praise you, God;
may all the peoples praise you.
May the nations be glad and sing for joy.

At Citygate, we are represented by about 30 different nationalities and cultures. We might find conversation hard with someone from another country, particularly if English is not their first language, but when we worship we are unified together in our love and adoration for Jesus. We may be miles from home but when we sing, we lift our voices out to the God and bring glory to His name (Ps 86:9)

This is a mere foretaste of heaven, of glory divine.

I don’t know whether heavenly worship is led by a 5-piece band or a 13-piece stringed Indian orchestra, but I do know what it says in Revelation 7:9-10:

After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands.

And they cried out in a loud voice:

“Salvation belongs to our God,
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.”


Let’s get ready to sing songs in many languages, in different styles and cultures. It enhances our worship to God, it welcomes the foreigner and brings unity in the church. Let’s warm up for heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment