Saturday 11 February 2012

Psalm 11: I want to hate like God hates.

By Peter Roxburgh

Psalm 11 (NIV)

"One of the men in the criminal network has been raping a minor child every night in one of several locations where he keeps victims before supplying them to the brothels."

This was part of a text I received from the director of an anti-trafficking organisation just before they did a 48-hour raid to rescue 23 girls.

Psalm 11:5 tells us that, "The Lord examines the righteous, but the wicked, those who love violence, He HATES WITH A PASSION."

Yes, that's right, our loving, God-with-a-long-beard-on-a-cloud-and-perpetual-smile HATES. Not just hates but hates with a passion! 'God loves the sinner but hates the sin'? Nonsense! He hates those (the people, the sinners) who love violence.

Vs 6, "On the wicked he will rain fiery coals and burning sulphur; a scorching wind will be their lot." And I say 'amen' to that.

But how can a God who is love, hate? He hates because he loves.

I am glad I serve a God who hates the violent with a passion. It reminds me that He is indeed a just God. He is a God with standards. He is a God who is passionate about His people. He is a God who loves the vulnerable, the oppressed and the broken.

It is also a challenge for me to not be passive about injustice. If God hates the unjust, the violent and the wicked with a passion, how dare I just look upon injustice with indifference and passivity! If I do then I have not come close to understanding and grasping the heart of God.

I don't just want to love like God. I want to hate like God too.

No comments:

Post a Comment