Tuesday 21 February 2012

Psalm 19: Navel gazer or star gazer?

















By Priscilla


May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
(Vs 14)


If I stuff my face with cream cakes, I am going to become fat. Fact. I am what I eat. Likewise – I also am what I think. If I think negative thoughts, I am going to be a critical person. If I think sad thoughts, I am going to get depressed. But it is some times not good enough to tell someone, think happy thoughts and you will be happy. Life can be hard - unbearable situations persist, health is not always great, money is always tight.

But David helps us with this.

Instead of indulging in navel-gazing – he encourages a bit of stargazing. 

“The heavens declare the glory of the God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. They have no speech, they use no words; no sound is heard from them. Yet their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.” (vs 1-4)

This is God’s unparalleled design and form in creation. His art.

David then takes the spotlight from this outward beauty God’s creation and swings it around to shine it down on the inward beauty of His Word. He describes it as: perfect, trustworthy, right, radiant, pure, firm and righteous. (vs 7-9)


But by focusing on God’s outward manifestation of greatness – His creation - and by our inward meditation of God’s perfect word, we will bubble forth with songs of praise and thanks to Him – no matter what our circumstance, no matter what our weakness. This is pleasing to God.

What have our conversations been about lately? That’s what we we’ve been meditating upon.

Let’s look to meditate on God’s perfect word, His magnificent creation and His faithfulness – that we may please Him, gain His perspective and be a great reflection of His grace over us.

No comments:

Post a Comment