Monday 20 February 2012

Psalm 18: What are you made of?

By Andy Flood

Psalm 18 (NIV)

Success is just as much a test of character as failure. So often when we fail, we chalk it up as 'character building' but when we succeed, are we as willing as David to give the credit to God?

It's easy to fall into the mindset that whenever we do something well, it's because of us. And when we fail it's all because of outside influences.

The truth is, character isn't forged in success or failure, but rather success or failure puts to test what is already there, what we have cultivated and God has put within us.

Character is the backbone within us, our default position.

David wins a massive victory over his enemies and instead of self congratulation he's full of praise for God. We know David had his flaws (understatement I know) but he is remembered as a man after God's own heart & jealous for the worship of God.

Our character, the very heart of us, needs to be one of praise to our God, in EVERY circumstance we turn to God and worship.

Here's a few questions that may help point out areas of our character that may need work:


• Where do I turn in success?

• Where do I turn in failure?

• How do I react when God calls for my obedience?

• How do I treat those I have authority over?



No comments:

Post a Comment