Thursday 9 February 2012

Psalm 9: We are but men, before a Mighty God

By Andi Norton

Psalm 9 (NIV)

15 The nations have fallen into the pit they have dug;
their feet are caught in the net they have hidden.

16 The LORD is known by his acts of justice;
the wicked are ensnared by the work of their hands.

 17 The wicked go down to the realm of the dead,
all the nations that forget God.

 18 But God will never forget the needy;
the hope of the afflicted will never perish.

19 Arise, LORD, do not let mortals triumph;
let the nations be judged in your presence.

 20 Strike them with terror, LORD;
let the nations know they are only mortal.


Being humbled is a painful process, and one I remember well. From the years of rebellion when I turned my back on God and went my own way – I found that there came a point where I had to decide - was it going to be God's way or the reality that comes from choosing a life against God?

I am so thankful that I'm just a man, but a man with God on my side. Although there will still be pain and trial, we know the final result! We know that our God is triumphant, and that God gives hope to the afflicted and that we will never perish. HALLELUJAH!

I think this is David's response too as he opens up with thankfulness in Psalm 9.

I don't know about you, but I struggle with the simplest of daily tasks, choices to make, and will frequently go to Nikki for advice (thank God for wives), but it's not near the choices God has to make.

In several verses God is described as a God of Justice, who will Judge. I thank God I'm just a man and that He has this job. God will have justice, but he does not judge like us. He is always fair in his judgement, He has no favourites, he cannot condemn the innocent, or clear the guilty.

Now I know I'm a guilty man, but as I'm sure David is as he looks upon the fate of a rebellious people, He is thankful that God has extended infinite favour on those who have come under the humbling righteousness of God through Jesus.

Suddenly the humbling process seemed worth it, when we know the true heart of God.

I stop, pause, and thank the Lord with all my soul, that He is my God and I His Creation!

Jesus I thank you, that you have made a way to bring infinite favour on those who choose to except you, and although at times there are trials we thank you that you are on our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment