Sunday 5 February 2012

Psalm 5: Hunting with a dead dog?

By Sean Theunissen

Psalm 5 (NIV)

Most of us knew that when we started this series in the Psalms that it wasn't going to be about namby-pamby prayers and worship songs! For those who didn't know that, then have a read of Psalm 5 and look forward to Psalm 137, I wonder who’s blogging on that one!

This is the first Psalm with prayers for the personal downfall of David's enemies. There is a major sense of urgency and desperation on David's part, 'consider my groaning, give attention to the sound of my cry'. It is a prayer for justice. David is angry with those who hate God and His people.
It's difficult not to react to David's curse on his enemies as being somewhat wrong. How can it be possible for those who say they follow Jesus' example, to then pray in this way?

First we need to realise that these are not trivial enemies, they are people who hate God and anyone who stands for Him. They mock God and use ruthless violence to suppress the godly. These are enemies who dashed the heads of infants on rocks, who enjoyed torturing God's people and did the most detestable things to Israel's women.

These curses are expressions of moral indignation, not personal vengeance. The more time we spend getting to know God, the more we love what He loves and the more we hate what he hates. We become sensitive to evil and injustice. When we hear of the church being persecuted around the world or even just mocked, which is closer to home, or hearing of abuse; rape; human trafficking; abortion; God's people tortured for their faith. These innocent people, the object and focus of God's affection and love, it is unthinkable that God could tolerate cruel men taking delight in destroying His creation. These are prayers for God to vindicate Himself, to display His righteousness for all to see.

I don't think over-the-top zealous prayers is our problem in the West, on the contrary, it's indifference and wimpy-ness, and this Psalm challenges my zeal and passion for all things God would be zealous about.

There is crying and weeping in this prayer. When last was I so desperate for God's cause?

Charles Spurgeon once said: 'Prayer without fervency is like hunting with a dead dog.

I sometimes over-think my prayers. I consider whether to ask God for that thing that's been burning on my heart or maybe I should construct a well thought-out prayer or maybe I need to make sure I've thought about all the possible outcomes of my request, as if I am somehow in a better position than God to say yes or no, like I'm in some way filtering or purifying the prayer before I offer it up to God. David says, 'Consider my meditation', in other words:

'If I have asked what's right, give it to me Lord, if I've omitted to ask what I really need, then fill the gap, let Jesus our perfect mediator, present it on our behalf, Lord regard it in Your wisdom, weigh it on Your scales, judge what I really need and through your mercy answer me. Were I to fumble and stress and sort it out myself I would only hurt others and make things worse, rather I lay it at Your feet, God only wise, for You alone are sovereign, perfect in wisdom, power and love.

Let's approach God the way He says we should, children of a perfect loving Father, made righteous in His sight by Jesus' blood. David appeals to God as 'my king, my God', not aliens, but children.

Yes, we need to love the lost and yes we are called to love our enemies and our priority is to see our enemies come to realise the love of God and stop violence and restore justice, but this does not mean we become insensitive to the sin and evil around us.

God, make me more zealous, more appalled by the state of this fallen world and the need for You to act. Lord, consume me for what consumes You and let me not burn hot and cold, or even worse, lukewarm, but rather a steady burning, well-kindled fire.



No comments:

Post a Comment