Tuesday 14 February 2012

Psalm 13: A future secured

By Priscilla

Psalm 13 (NIV)

A couple of years into our marriage, Peter and I decided to start a family. But we soon found out that is was not going to happen easily. It was a time of incredible patience and testing for us. I can so identify with the words in this psalm as I often found myself praying words along similar lines:

Psalm 13:1-2 (NIV)
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? [2] How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart?


It wasn't easy to see our friends have children but I remember praying, "God, fill me with immense gladness when I see my friends' new babies." And He did! We enjoyed playing with them; watching their chubby little legs take them from crawling babies to energetic toddlers and we were then secretly glad we could still sleep in on Saturdays. But I digress - flicking through my journal from those years - I can read countless promises of hope and words of encouragement that sustained me - joyfully.

I love how this psalm ends with:

Psalm 13:5-6 (NIV) BUT I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. [6] I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me.
He has indeed been good to us - always!

Despite every despondent situation in our lives - let's choose to trust in God's plan and love for us.
When I used to look back then, I saw how God had skilfully ordained my life - could I not trust Him for the future?
We most certainly can! Awesome!

Hebrews 12:2-3 (NIV) Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment