Friday 24 February 2012

Psalm 22: We have only just begun

By Chantalle Wookey

Psalm 22 (NIV)

I have to admit that when I first read this Psalm I didn’t find it very encouraging.

I don't mean that it isn't encouraging, because of course it is. It is actually an AMAZING Psalm - the issue was entirely to do with me. I was thinking I need to get this blog written, people are waiting for it, get it done, tick the box, consumed, I am, by my surrounding circumstances.

This of course leads to a feeling of guilt in me as I know this Psalm is a huge prophetic reference to the saving work of Jesus. The cry of Jesus as He hung, dying, on the cross are the beginning cries of this psalm. A picture of His suffering. Alone. Forsaken by everyone including God himself. Jesus hung on that cross, He took the sins of the entire world upon Himself. My sins. Your sins. All the sins that were ever committed. All the sins that would ever be committed.

The problem for me so much of the time is that I am spoilt. I know this stuff, and not just in my head, I really do know Jesus as my amazing Saviour. Yet I have been around this knowledge for so long that I can begin to take it for granted. I don’t allow it to humble me like it once did.

This was the place I was in when I began to write this blog.

It was as I read this Psalm again and engaged my spirit that I was struck by so many things, and not just in my head but in my inner man, the strongest of which was an over-whelming sense of desperation to worship God. No matter where we find ourselves, no matter the situation of life we are in, no matter how many times I take it for granted; He has done it. Death is beaten. I am free.

I was drawn to four simple words in the last part of verse 21. “You have answered me.” Jesus, hanging on the cross. Darkness seems all consuming. A weight of hopelessness abounds. The heavens are silent. Completely forsaken by all around Him. And suddenly a Light shines. “You have answered me”. God turns back around. Fellowship with the Father is restored. And because of Jesus’ unending Love, I am forgiven, I am restored. God has answered and he continues to answer me.

I will declare your name to my people; in the assembly I will praise you. You who fear the LORD, praise him!.........For he has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one;

God would you pour out the oil of gladness. God would you restore to us the joy of our salvation. Your love is out of the world. Oh that we would be totally undone by it.

He's Alive. It is Finished. We have only just begun to worship him.

No comments:

Post a Comment