Tuesday 28 February 2012

Psalm 25: God’s medicine for discouragement

By Priscilla
Psalm 25 (NIV) 


Since moving from my home country, it is quite a rare treat for me to meet a friend who I’ve known for longer than I’ve lived in Bournemouth. And when we meet, we end up, quite naturally laughing about things in our shared history, reliving fun times and friendships. Occasionally and briefly, my mind drifts back to some of the other times in my teens and 20s that I am not proud of. I can remember incidents, thoughts and things I’ve said with toe-curling embarrassment and detail.

And my spirit resonated with David’s plea to God in this psalm when he says, ‘Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways.’ (vs 7)

David is at a point where he probably needs to make some decisions and seeks guidance from God particularly as he does not want a repeat of past mistakes. I am completely with David on that one!

David’s answer? He pins his hope on God! (vs 4, 5)

Hope is God’s medicine for discouragement. When we’ve blown it yet again, when we find ourselves sinning, repeating sins of our youth, again. God says – I can give you hope.

Without hope we can sink and look down into a pool of pity. But by fixing our hope in Christ, we can look up at the freedom He offers.

When we put our hope in God and humbly repent - God instructs, guides and teaches (vs 8, 9). What a bargain!

Not only that, verse 14 says, ‘The LORD confides in those who fear Him; He makes his covenant known to them.’

Confiding is something we indulge in only amongst close friends and this psalm says that God will confide in me?? And makes His promise known to me??

What have I got to lose by putting my hope in Christ? Nothing! I have everything to gain.

Let’s approach this week by not going over past sin, but meditating on God’s perfect character. Fix our gaze on Jesus and know that when we do that He untangles our feet when they get caught in the fowler’s snare (vs 15). We never have to worry about untying ourselves from those knots again. He’s done it for us. Amen!





No comments:

Post a Comment