Thursday 23 February 2012

Psalm 21: Tag, You're in

By Andi Norton

Psalm 21 (The Message)


He wanted a good life; you gave it to him, 

     and then made it a long life as a bonus. 
You lifted him high and bright as a cumulus cloud,
      then dressed him in rainbow colors. 
You pile blessings on him;
      you make him glad when you smile. 
Is it any wonder the king loves God?
      that he's sticking with the Best?




This life can come with some heavy blows, pounding even!

Time and time again when I faced a battle with drugs and alcohol, sin was rapidly pulling me further and further into a black hole of depression and despair. I was cut off from a sense of reality and being free was alien to me. But for many years in this pit my biggest desire was to be freed of it.

I tried so many times in my own strength, and pulled upon the strength from others around me, looked for expert advice, but none were strong enough to save me from my enemy (myself, and the life that was surrounding me).

How is it that I could try so hard and not accomplish something that could be broken in a single moment by a loving God on a dark road one evening with two simple words - 'Help God'.

GOD IS STRONG!

I remember singing in my childhood of a God who is big, strong and mighty, there's nothing that He can not do, and as cheesy as that may appear now, the truth that surrounds these words is so real to me.

I may not be like David facing the oppression of an enemy surrounding Him, but I know the feeling that must have come with it and the rejoicing that comes from knowing God's strength in these times.

I'm so thankful that God started my walk with Him this way, because I know that in God's strength anything is possible. In our weakness, He is strong, and if we cast our concerns to Him, He will step in.

It's like a tag team wrestling match, in which I'm in first knowing that my partner is stronger, but foolishly I try and battle the big opponent on my own. I take a huge battering and when I'm unable to take anymore, I turn to my partner, and say 'Tag, You're in'.

He comes in, and in one blow, KO. But why do we take so many blows, why do we try to do things in our own strength so frequently?

Since making the decision to let God step into my life in all the situations I face, I have known many blessings. I've known the smile of God upon my life, and like the king in today's psalm, I can say I love God, and I'm sticking with the best. I wanted a good life and God gave it to me.

We serve a Victorious King, He's already won the battle, so let Him step into the wrestling ring of your life and in His Strength you can rejoice that we are more than conquerors, because of Jesus.

Lord, constantly remind us that all things are possible for You, and not to just to turn to You in times of trouble, but to submit all things to You daily, because in Your strength we know a truly good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment