Wednesday 22 February 2012

Psalm 20: An army's prayer

A team with a good scrum can advance even against a technically 
more powerful pack if they hold together and push together 
in the same direction. 

By Sean Theunissen

Psalm 20 (NIV)

1 May the LORD answer you when you are in distress;
may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.

2 May he send you help from the sanctuary
and grant you support from Zion.

3 May he remember all your sacrifices
and accept your burnt offerings.

4 May he give you the desire of your heart
and make all your plans succeed.

5 May we shout for joy over your victory and lift up our banners in the name of our God.


This psalm is the first of two royal psalms. The army of Israel would sing it as an anthem-like prayer before going in to battle, requesting that God would give success to the king, to the anointed. I love how prophetic this psalm is of Christ's victory for us, I can almost imagine Jesus' followers, if they had a clear understanding of what Jesus would go through at Calvary, praying this psalm over Him. 'May the Lord answer you when you are in distress...may he remember all your sacrifices, and accept your burnt offerings...we will shout for joy when you are victorious'.


What a reminder of Christ's victory, going before us, shouldering all the responsibility that wasn't even his to carry.


This psalm also reminds me that this life is so short and that our time on earth is so precious. How often do I forget what I'm here for, a soldier calling for Jesus to have victory and to advance His kingdom. A soldier is part of an army and in the same way we are called to be the church as one, lifting up the name of Jesus, praying for Him to move in power, to break down strongholds. An army works together, upholding our friends and comrades who are going through tough times or have fallen behind, or are in danger.


It reminds me of the prophetic word Adi Bonner had earlier in the year about being a rugby scrum and holding tight lines, no gaps. A team with a good scrum can advance even against a technically more powerful pack if they hold together and push together in the same direction.


There is a sense of community about this psalm that I really think is important for us. We are one people fighting a battle behind an already victorious King!


Lord, let me remember your plan for your church, to not get distracted by civilian affairs. Lord, help me to get alongside others, to not leave people in danger or in pain. Help me also to stay close to friends you've given me, not to try and go it alone. Thank you for your victory, thank you for the battle you endured for me. I give my life to honour this. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment